Second COVID-19 Death Confirmed As Administration Faces Criticism From Democratic Governor Candidate

first_imgSecond COVID-19 Death Confirmed As Administration Faces Criticism From Democratic Governor CandidateMarch 17, 2020, |  Posted by Janet WilliamsBy Erica Irish TheStatehouseFile.comINDIANAPOLIS—State officials confirmed the second patient death related to the coronavirus Tuesday in Johnson County, one day after government and healthcare leaders imposed drastic restrictions in the effort to contain the widening pandemic.Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb announced the first death in Marion County Monday as he imposed new restrictions on bars, restaurants, and nightclubs to place a temporary ban on in-person service, restricting businesses in the food industry to carry out and delivery orders only. He also called on the state to abide by a recommendation by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to limit gatherings to 50 people or less.Gov. Eric Holcomb with Community Hospital’s Dr. Ram Yeleti announces the first coronavirus death in Indiana on Monday. Photo by Janet WilliamsIn addition, Holcomb issued an executive order that includes the restrictions on public gatherings through the end of March, delays non-essential meetings, allows members to participate electronically if the meetings are essential, and activates the Indiana National Guard to be on duty as needed.His Democratic opponent in the 2020 gubernatorial election, former Indiana State Health Commissioner Woody Myers, held a press conference by telephone Tuesday to outline his “Coronavirus Control Plan,” a response that calls for the immediate closure of all schools, a $100 million appropriation for emergency funding and to convene a special session of the Indiana General Assembly.The coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, has sickened 30 people so far in Indiana, according to the latest reports by the state health department. But many more residents are expected to have contracted the virus, and Myers said this is due in large part to what he said is a lack of testing statewide.“I absolutely believe we have made a serious mistake by not emphasizing testing earlier and getting the tests done quicker,” Myers said. “We need testing more than any single other items because without testing you don’t know where your patients are, you don’t know where your clusters are, you don’t know where to focus your resources.”Indiana State Health Commissioner Kris Box told Hoosiers in the Monday press conference those experiencing mild or moderate symptoms should not seek out tests and should instead self-quarantine. Box said this is necessary to prevent further spread of the disease and to ensure resources in hospitals can go to those at high risk of experiencing complications from the disease, such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions.Myers, however, said healthcare professionals can prioritize access for high-risk populations while still ensuring more Hoosiers are tested.“They should go to the front of the line, but that shouldn’t mean everyone else doesn’t get the opportunity,” Myers said.Myers’ said Indiana’s private business leaders should also be prepared to face additional closures to curb the spread of the virus. He recommended the Indiana General Assembly allocate $100 million in additional relief for those affected by temporary closures and to revise state laws on price gouging. He also reiterated the need for a public-private partnership, the Indiana Coronavirus Leadership Group, to facilitate further conversations among government officials, healthcare providers, and private organizations.Representatives for the Indiana Restaurant & Lodging Association responded soon after Holcomb announced a suspension of dining room service Monday. While industry representatives said they support the governor’s decision, they encourage Indiana residents to consider alternatives to eating out that could still support businesses through the inevitable economic challenge, such as buying gift cards and offering generous tips for takeout and delivery orders.“We are continuing a very positive dialogue with the governor and his team as we discuss the immediate issues facing our industry and the 14% of Hoosiers that are employed directly in the restaurant and lodging industry in Indiana,,” said Patrick Tamm, president and CEO of the INRLA. “Our team members are experiencing an immediate impact to their lives and are very vulnerable at this time.”House Minority Leader Phil GiaQuinta, D-Fort Wayne, wrote a letter to the governor to focus on issues to increase eligibility for unemployment insurance for those affected by the outbreak, require employers to offer up to four weeks of paid leave, waive co-pays for those using the Healthy Indiana Plan, enhance protections for renters to prevent evictions and protect homeowners from foreclosures.Nationwide, every state except West Virginia has reported cases of COVID-19. As of Tuesday afternoon, the Centers for Disease Control reports that there are more than 4,200 cases across the country and 75 people have died.FOOTNOTE: Erica Irish is a reporter for TheStatehouseFile.com, a news website powered by Franklin College journalism students. Print Friendly, PDF & EmailFacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailSharelast_img read more

Arsenal open talks to sign Stephan El Shaarawy

first_imgAdvertisement Arsenal open talks to sign Stephan El Shaarawy Metro Sport ReporterThursday 10 Sep 2020 10:53 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link5.1kShares Advertisement El Sharaawy is set to return to Europe (Picture: Getty)Arsenal have held talks over bringing Stephan El Shaarawy to the Emirates on loan as he prepares for a return to Europe. The Gunners are exploring the possibility of a deal for the Italy international, who has formerly represented Roma and AC Milan. He is currently playing for Guangzhou Evergrande but is only eligible to play in one game in their remaining fixtures schedule because of strict quarantine rules when returning from international duty.He is also expected to be representing Italy in October and November and therefore it makes sense for him to be based in Europe.ADVERTISEMENTEl Shaarawy has been given permission to join a European club on loan until January, with an option to buy or extend the loan deal also potentially inserted into the terms. AdvertisementAdvertisementAccording to Di Marzio, he favours a return to Roma. Arteta is hoping to add more recruits (Picture: Getty)However, there has been contact with Arsenal as well as Atletico Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain. Arsenal have already signed Willian and Gabriel Magalhaes this summer, while Pablo Mari and Cedric Soares have made their loan deals permanent. More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalMikel Arteta is still expected to be active in the remaining days of the extended transfer window, however, and El Shaarawy could be a cost-effective addition to the squad.Outgoings are also likely, with Emiliano Martinez expected to join Aston Villa.Should Arsenal sign El Shaarawy?Yes0%No0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your resultsFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Commentlast_img read more

Tipperary are Munster Under 21 Football Champions

first_imgTeam captain Colin O’Riordan had been a major doubt for the game having suffered a concussion injury while playing for the Seniors in their League match against Sligo.He contributed 2 points to Tipp’s tally and said the team showed great commitment last night.Tipp now go on to meet Dublin in the All Ireland semi-final on April 18th. Their one point win over Cork in Semple Stadium denied the Rebels their five-in-a-row.Tommy Twomey’s side succeeded where they failed in the last two years by beating Cork on a scoreline of 1-15 to 3-8.Ian Fahey scored Tipp’s goal while Kevin O’Halloran contributed 6 points – 5 of them from frees.last_img

Consultation starts for REDD+ GRM mechanism

first_imgCommunity consultations have begun in Guyana, so as to develop a Grievance and Redress Mechanism (GRM), which is expected to boost the implementation of Reduced Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+).The discussions, which were held at Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice); Port Kaituma, Region One (Barima-Waini); and Bartica, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) will be moved to Mahdia, Region Eight (Potaro-Siparuni); and Annai and Anna Regina, in Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) in the coming months.At these engagements, the REDD+ stakeholders – which are made up of Indigenous people and residents of forest dependent communities – are assisting with recommendations for a REDD+ GRM. This is done by highlighting the existing mechanisms and identifying gaps in these measures, while suggesting ways in which they can be addressed so as to better the functions of the systems. The stakeholders are also being updated on the historical analysis of REDD+ related grievances and existing GRMs.In December 2017, the activities were contracted to a local firm, The Consultancy Group (TCG), by the Natural Resources Ministry under the Forest Carbon Partnership Facility Project (FCPF).Upon conclusion of the consultancy, the company is expected to develop a national coordinating structure and procedures to receive, process and investigate complaints from affected communities under the REDD+ implementation in Guyana.The new mechanism will be based on dialogue and engagement with the people and must be transparent and impartial.Over the last five years, indication has been shown that the grievances surrounding REDD+ and natural resources management in Guyana are classified into two categories – institution-related grievances and land-related.Institutional grievances refer to stakeholder concerns about the functioning of specific Government agencies, management and the overall management of natural resources in Guyana. Land-related grievances involve miners, foresters, farmers and moreover, the Indigenous communities.The FCPF Project is ensuring that a GRM is available from the earliest stages of REDD+ Readiness in Guyana.last_img read more