Argentine Military Provides Humanitarian Assistance to Hurricana Victims in Haiti

first_imgBy Eduardo Szklarz/Diálogo October 20, 2016 In the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew in Haiti, the Argentine Blue Helmets are providing essential medical and other health-related assistance in the form of the Argentine Mobile Field Hospital to the country. The hospital is the only level 2 medical facility (hospital equipped to do surgeries) associated with the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti. Although it is set up in Port-au-Prince and its primary mission is to provide medical care to the peacekeeping forces, the hospital also uses its collapsible modules to reach communities affected by disasters. The hospital is assembled from containers that serve as operating rooms, wards, laboratories, dental offices, as well as other medical functions. On the night of October 13th, a convoy of 4×4 vehicles and ambulances from the Argentine Armed Forces reached the city of Jérémie, in the country’s southwest, the area most devastated by Hurricane Matthew, with the collapsible modules. “We sent 23 of the 67 people that man the portable hospital, including doctors, nurses, lab personnel and security staff,” 1st Lt. Pablo Martínez, director of logistics for the medical facility, told Diálogo via video conference from Port-au-Prince. Under normal conditions, it would take six hours to drive the roughly 300 km between Haiti’s capital and Jérémie. The military convoy took 48 hours because of the obstacles encountered along the way. “The last half of the route was completely destroyed. Bridges had collapsed and trees had fallen across the road, so it was very tough to get through,” said 1st Lt. Martínez. “Fortunately, we had the help of the Paraguayan Company of Engineers and the Brazilian security personnel. Together, we cleared the way so that the Mobile Field Hospital could reach the area it was sent to serve.” Argentina sends food and medicine According to a report published on October 10th by the United Nations Children’s Fund, Hurricane Matthew impacted around 1.3 million people in Haiti, displaced 99,400 families, and destroyed more than 66,000 homes. Poverty makes a bad situation worse in a country still recovering from the 7.3-magnitude earthquake that rocked it in 2010. “The hurricane destroyed everything in its path. The first thing that people asked us for was not medical care but food,” said 1st Lt. Martínez. In response to the emergency, Argentina filled a 30-cubic-meter container with water, medicine, and non-perishable food and shipped it to Haiti by boat. The South American country regularly sends supplies to Haiti, but this time it dispatched the extra shipment to meet the needs of the overextended Mobile Field Hospital in the capital and in the disaster area. International cooperation Hurricane Matthew sharply increased patient volume at the Mobile Field Hospital in Haiti. “We performed more than five surgeries in the last week alone, compared to 14 or 15 over the last five months,” said 1st Lt. Martínez, adding that the medical facility provides care to an average of 100 patients per week. “On a normal day, we may see five or ten patients. The number varies significantly. Some days, we have more than 20. And now we have even more because of the hurricane.” He also emphasized the importance of international cooperation to overcome challenges in a devastated country. “When you’re here, you recognize the bond that exists with the other nations working together in these situations,” he said. “We have the constant support of contingents that have become like our brothers, like the people from Paraguay, Brazil, Peru, El Salvador, Chile, and other countries in the region,” he added. “But it is not limited to the people who share our customs. The bond exists with people from countries like Bangladesh, India, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. All of them support us. The brotherhood among nations is palpable.” The Joint Chiefs of Staff coordinates the mission The Mobile Field Hospital is an element of the Argentine Air Force, the commander of which is Vice-Commodore Héctor Priotti. “But the contingent also has five Navy warrant officers and five Army warrant officers,” explained Lieutenant Colonel Marcelo Acuña, who was stationed in Haiti for two-and-a-half years. “When deployed on peacekeeping missions like this one, the three branches operate jointly.” Under Argentine regulations, once peacekeeping missions are deployed, the three forces fall under the command of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the Armed Forces headed by Lieutenant General Bari del Valle Sosa. The Operational Command of the Joint Chiefs of Staff also coordinates the Argentine Blue Helmets participating in the UN Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus.last_img read more

AMA rejects assisted suicide

first_imgThe Australian 24 November 2016Family First Comment: “The Australian Medical ¬Association will today unveil a policy rejecting euthanasia and doctor-assisted suicide, but which acknowledges for the first time that right-to-die laws are ¬“ultimately a matter for society and government”. The position statement, previewed exclusively by The Australian, spells out how doctors can ethically give drugs and treatment to dying patients that hasten death, provided the intent is to ¬relieve suffering.” Exactly the way it currently is, and should remain.The Australian Medical ­Association will today unveil a policy rejecting euthanasia and doctor-assisted suicide, but which acknowledges for the first time that right-to-die laws are ­“ultimately a matter for society and government”.The position statement, previewed exclusively by The Australian, spells out how doctors can ethically give drugs and treatment to dying patients that hasten death, provided the intent is to ­relieve suffering.The AMA spent a year revising its stance on euthanasia after the hot-button issue was revived by an ultimately unsuccessful cross-party bid in South Australia to push right-to-die legislation through the state parliament and ongoing moves to frame such a law in Victoria with the backing of senior ministers in Daniel ­Andrews’ Labor government.The AMA review was underpinned by a survey of 30,000 doctors. About 4000 responses came in, AMA president Michael Gannon said yesterday.Views split narrowly in favour of retaining the AMA’s existing policy that doctors should not take any action primarily ­intended to cause the death of a patient. Doctors could, however, “relieve symptoms which may have a ­secondary consequence of hastening death”, the new position statement says.Dr Gannon said 30 per cent of the responding doctors favoured a change in AMA policy to endorse or to shift to a neutral position on euthanasia, while 15 per cent were undecided.The relatively close margin of about 55-45 per cent for and against or undecided on the existing policy underlines that doctors are as divided as the public.The position statement says: “The AMA recognises there are divergent views within the medical profession and broader community in relation to euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide.”Crucially, an even clearer ­majority of AMA members said if voluntary euthanasia were made legal at the state and territory level, doctors should be involved in helping terminally ill people die rather than dig in on principle and boycott the process.Reflecting this, the AMA has altered its position to say: “If governments decide that laws should be changed to allow for the practice of euthanasia and/or physician-assisted suicide, the medical profession must be involved in the development of relevant legislation, regulations and guidelines.”This would protect doctors who acted within the law, as well as ­patients at risk of coercion and “undue influence”, or those who might ask to die for fear of being a burden to family and carers.“The fact that a majority of doctors don’t support a change in our statement or the law did not surprise me,” Dr Gannon told The Australian.READ MORE: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/health/most-doctors-would-help-terminally-ill-die-ama/news-story/82a3d43d1c8742230a406e8ebe0cedb9Keep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.last_img read more

Sunderland: No wrongdoing over Ji

first_imgSunderland say none of their Premier League rivals have raised any formal objection to the fact that they received just a fine for fielding South Korean striker Ji Dong-won while ineligible. A club spokesperson said on Friday: “The issue of Ji Dong-won was explained in detail to (Friday’s) Premier League shareholders meeting and no issues were raised by any club. “Sunderland AFC confirmed that they had complied with all the procedures and the Premier League stated that the player was duly registered on the extranet system and in all other Premier League mechanisms. “The club has never accepted any wrongdoing, but did acknowledge that a technical fault occurred and as such, were fined by the Premier League accordingly in December. “The matter is now closed.” MK Dons said in a statement: ” The club sought clarification from the Football League regarding the allegations and the League confirmed that they only became aware of the situation in late November. “The club acknowledges that the Football League board dealt with the situation as they saw fit and will not be pursuing the matter further.” However, former Sunderland manager Steve Bruce, who signed Ji in June 2011, was less forgiving. ”That’s pretty bizarre stuff that it’s only surfaced now and he’s played in four games,” the Hull manager said on Friday morning. Press Association ”They should be in serious trouble, I would have thought.” Asked if he would expect a club fielding an ineligible player to be handed a points deduction, Bruce replied: ”It’s the first I have heard of it and it will be interesting, I would have thought so though.” Sources on Wearside insist there is no ongoing investigation amid speculation that the relegation-threatened club could yet be docked points. Sunderland currently lie in 19th place in the table, four points adrift of safety with just eight games to play. Press Association Sport also understands club secretary Liz Coley left her job in December to take up a new position, but not as a result of the problem with Ji’s clearance. Ji featured as a substitute in league games against Fulham, Southampton and Manchester United and from the start at Crystal Palace before the mistake was discovered. Only one of those games, a 1-1 draw at Southampton on August 24, saw then manager Paolo Di Canio’s side rewarded with a point. The confusion appears to surround the striker’s return to Sunderland after a loan spell with German Bundesliga club Augsburg last season. His spell back in English football, however, proved brief and he returned to Augsburg, this time on a permanent deal, in January this year having made just two more senior appearances under current boss Gus Poyet. Ji initially joined the Black Cats from Chunnam Dragons for £2million in June 2011 during Bruce’s spell in charge, but started only six senior games for the club, although he did score a memorable winner against Manchester City on New Year’s Day 2012. Cardiff boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, whose side is currently one place and a single point better off than Sunderland, was philosophical on the matter. He said: ”We accept whatever the outcome is. I don’t say I’m not bothered, but there’s not a lot I can do.” Asked how he would feel if the Bluebirds’ survival or otherwise came down to one point, Solskjaer added: ”It would be ifs and buts, but you have to accept whatever is the decision made. ”You have got to trust (the Premier League) to make the right decision according to the rules. I can’t read through the rules and regulations and put a point across now. ”But hopefully we will have enough points to be safe anyway.” The Black Cats issued a statement on Friday afternoon denying any wrongdoing in regard to the matter. Ji made four Barclays Premier League appearances without the correct international clearance, plus one in the Capital One Cup. Their opponents in that competition, MK Dons, also released a statement on Friday saying they would not pursue the matter further. Sunderland were fined in December last year after they alerted league officials to the fact that they did not have international clearance for Ji, although the news has only emerged in the last 24 hours. last_img read more

GLENSWILLY BOY RACER WAS DOING HANDBRAKE TURNS IN TESCO CAR PARK

first_imgA GLENSWILLY man who was doing handbrake turns in the car park of Tesco in Letterkenny has appeared in court on dangerous driving charges.Daniel McDaid, from Dooen Glebe in Newmills, was caught by gardai just after 11pm on May 5 this year.The court was told there were around ten customers coming and going out of Tesco at the time. Solicitor Patsy Gallagher said McDaid was ‘extremely remorseful’ after the incident.“He is also being asked serious questions at home over his actions on the night,” said Mr Gallagher.Judge Paul Kelly ordered McDaid to attend the pro-social safer driving course and adjourned sentence until July.GLENSWILLY BOY RACER WAS DOING HANDBRAKE TURNS IN TESCO CAR PARK was last modified: May 18th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:handbrake turnsletterkennytescolast_img read more