Journalist freed after finally agreeing to pay bail

first_img“Kuwait was the first Arab country to decriminalise press offences in 2006 and was the leading Middle Eastern country in the 2009 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index, but now more and more lawsuits are being brought against journalists because of internal political tension,” Reporters Without Borders said. Courts uphold newspaper’s closure, increase blogger’s jail term As Kuwait’s media legislation has decriminalised defamation, Al-Jassem maintains that he cannot legally be detained for refusing to pay bail in this case. New Cyber Crimes Law restricts free expression and targets online activists September 5, 2014 Find out more Al-Jassem told Reporters Without Borders on 1 October that he had also referred to the prime minister’s readiness to file lawsuits and his “fondness for the courts.” He added: “The prime minister knows he is in a tough spot domestically. He is trying to survive despite the absurd way he has handled things, and to this end he is trying to control the media. He owns four newspapers and two TV stations, and yet he is even ready to pay for favourable stories. I don’t need his money and I say what I think about Kuwaiti politics.” News to go further Follow the news on Kuwait January 21, 2016 Find out more After being held by police for 12 days at the headquarters of the criminal investigation department in Kuwait City, journalist Mohammed Al-Jassem appeared in court again this morning and was able to challenge the legality of his detention and the way the investigation has been conducted.At the end of a hearing of more than two hours, the court ordered his release on bail of 1,000 dinars (2,300 euros) and set another hearing for 10 December. This time he paid the bail and was released. He had previously refused to pay bail on the grounds that his detention was illegal.————————————-24.11.09 – Journalist held as a result of libel action by prime ministerKuwait’s prosecutor general yesterday ordered the police to continue holding journalist Mohammed Abdel Qader Al-Jassem at the headquarters of the criminal investigation department after he was take in for questioning the day before in connection with a libel suit by the prime minister and then refused to pay bail of 1,000 dinars (2,345 euros). Al-Jassem has asked his lawyer, Hammoud Al-Hajeri, to file a complaint accusing the prosecutor general of illegal detention. February 23, 2015 Find out more News Help by sharing this information Prime Minister Nasser Mohammed filed his libel action before prosecutor general Hamid Al-Othman on 2 September. It names Al-Jassem and Abdelhamid Da’ass, the editor of the daily Al-Alam Al-Yaoum, and concerns a 16 August article accusing the prime minister of encouraging religious tension in order to hold on to his job. Receive email alerts News Organisation KuwaitMiddle East – North Africa News “The 2006 press law reform abolished imprisonment for journalists but defamation actions are often being dealt with under the criminal code,” the press freedom organisation continued. “Some politicians are taking advantage of this to paralyse criticism. We urge the prosecutor general to release Al-Jassem.” December 3, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist freed after finally agreeing to pay bail KuwaitMiddle East – North Africa When question by the prosecutor general a week later, the prime minister’s lawyer, Imad Al-Saif, maintained that Al-Jassem’s article had defamed his client. Defamation can still be punished under the criminal code by up to two years in prison and a heavy fine. Popular blogger charged with blasphemy RSF_en last_img read more

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang drops his own contract hint after Bukayo Saka’s new Arsenal deal

first_img“I’m really happy today. My performance was good. And I’m always happy to score goals and help the team to win games.”@Aubameyang7 reacts to becoming the quickest player to score 5️⃣0️⃣ Premier League goals for Arsenal…🎙 @ReshminTV pic.twitter.com/97e8deukSu— Football on BT Sport (@btsportfootball) July 1, 2020 Comment Advertisement Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang drops his own contract hint after Bukayo Saka’s new Arsenal deal Aubameyang was Arsenal’s man of the match in their easy win over Norwich (Picture: Getty)Doubts still linger over Aubameyang’s future however, with his current contract expiring next summer, though he has not closed the door on signing an extension of his own.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTAsked if he will delight Arsenal fans even more and follow Saka’s lead in signing a new deal, Aubameyang told BT Sport: ‘I know, I know! I’m really happy that Bukayo signed da ting! [laughing]‘And now we’ll see [about me]. We’ll talk with the club and we’re going to see what’s going to happen.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘But first of all I’m really focused on the games, this end of the season, so we will see.’Asked if he sees positive signs in the team under Arteta, he continued: ‘Yeah, as I said, since Mikel is in we’re doing well and we’re working very well, so we have good signs that we are improving.’ Aubameyang has continued to score freely despite Arsenal’s struggles this season and head coach Arteta has been full of praise for his talisman after his record-breaking evening.Asked about his record, the Spaniard said: ‘Credit to him that we were talking that he wasn’t scoring many in the last few weeks.‘The type of player that he is, he’s always trying to be the best, to score goals, to help the team, and I’m really glad with him. Not only for the goals but with his attitude overall.’MORE: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang reacts to breaking Thierry Henry’s Arsenal recordMORE: Arsenal postpone Alexandre Lacazette decision because of Pierre-Emerick AubameyangFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 1 Jul 2020 8:38 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link4.6kShares Advertisement The Gabon striker struck twice as Arsenal dominated against Norwich (Picture: Getty)Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang says he will hold talks with Arsenal over a contract extension and is happy with the direction the club is taking under new boss Mikel Arteta.The Gabon striker, who is the Gunners’ top scorer this season, netted twice more on Wednesday evening against Norwich to become the fastest Arsenal player to hit 50 Premier League goals – doing so quicker even than Thierry Henry.Arsenal’s 4-0 victory, which takes them above north London rivals Spurs in the table, marked a day of double delight, with Bukayo Saka having committed his long-term future to the club earlier in the day.last_img read more

FA Cup: Batshuayi, Tomori fire Chelsea past Hull

first_imgRelatedPosts Lampard: I still have confidence in Tomori Rennes want Fikayo Tomori, £25m for Mendy Lampard: Tomori won’t leave Chelsea Chelsea survived a late scare in the FA Cup to overcome Hull City 2-1 at the KCOM Stadium on Saturday. Frank Lampard’s side advanced to the last 16 of the competition after goals from Michy Batshuayi and Fikayo Tomori. Kamil Grosicki scored late on for Hull and although they pushed hard for the equaliser, Chelsea held on. Hull started the game brightly but it was Chelsea who took the lead in the opening six minutes when Batshuayi’s deflected close range effort found the net. Chelsea were close to scoring more goals but Hull goalkeeper George Long twice denied Mason Mount and saved from Marcos Alonso just before the break. The visitors doubled their lead just after the hour mark when Tomori headed in from Ross Barkley’s free kick. With 13 minutes remaining, Hull got themselves back in the game when Grosicki’s free kick deflected off Mateo Kovacic and found the net, but they failed to grab an equaliser.Tags: Chelsea FCFA CupFikayo TomoriFrank LampardHull CityMichy Batshuayilast_img read more

The Latest: Tajikistan starts soccer season

first_imgThe game was played without fans and a large banner reading “stop coronavirus” in Tajik and Russian covered part of the stands.Players and staff from both teams mingled freely after the final whistle before officials hung medals around their necks and shook their hands.Professional soccer is only continuing in a few countries around the world, with Belarus, Nicaragua and Burundi among the holdouts, attracting interest from foreign fans and international gambling markets.Tajikistan has not reported any cases of the new coronavirus, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.___ Associated Press April 4, 2020 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:Tajikistan has started a new soccer season, joining a small group of countries around the world where play has continued despite the coronavirus pandemic.Istiklol Dushanbe retained the Central Asian nation’s season-opening Super Cup on Saturday with a come-from-behind 2-1 win over Khujand.center_img The Latest: Tajikistan starts soccer season More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6last_img read more

Bills’ Shaq Lawson to pay for 11-year-old shooting victim’s funeral

first_img“I know her heart was hurting,” Lawson said. “I was so speechless I couldn’t say anything. I felt her pain. I felt the pain, too. I felt like any way I could possible help out, I was going to do that. It hit my heart.”Scott died after being struck when someone fired more than 35 shots into her home at around 1:30 a.m. ET Sunday, police say. Her 18-year-old sister and an 11-year-old cousin also were wounded and remain hospitalized, the cousin in critical condition as of Thursday morning, the News reported.The unidentified shooter remains at-large.“Whoever did this needs to come forward and tell the truth,” Lawson said. “And whoever’s hiding, it’s wrong that you’re hiding. This is a little girl who is gone. It’s just pointless killing people, killing an innocent child. She was at home, a place (where) she was supposed to be safe” “It could’ve been my little sister,” Lawson said Wednesday by phone from Arizona. “I’ve got a little sister around that age, and it could have been one of my family members.”Lawson told the News and the (Anderson, S.C.) Independent-Mail that he had reached out to speak to Scott’s mother, Marshella Rice. Related News T.J. Yeldon expects ‘heated competition’ among Bills running backs Bills defensive end and former Clemson star Shaq Lawson will pay for the funeral of an 11-year-old shot to death this week in his native South Carolina, the Greenville (S.C.) News reported Thursday.Ja’Naiya Scott died early Sunday in a shooting at her home in Anderson, South Carolina, some 20 miles from where Lawson, the Bills’ first-round pick in 2016, grew up. Lawson played high school football in Central, South Carolina, north of Anderson, and went on to star at Clemson before becoming Buffalo’s top pick three years ago.last_img read more