Video: He’s back! West Ham striker shows he’s nearing return with impressive training finishes

first_imgAndy Carroll is nearing a West Ham return, and this evidence suggests he’s in fine fickle.The big striker hasn’t featured for the Hammers since a medial knee ligament injury in February – the latest in a long line of problems that have hampered his progress in recent years.On his day though, he’s a real handful and effectively acts as a new signing for Slaven Bilic and his new-look West Ham side.Can he recover his midas touch?Here is the video of some of Carroll’s training goals: 1 Andy Carroll center_img One man is gutted to see me back!! @AdriSanMiguel how’s your back after picking all them out the back of the net!! 👍 pic.twitter.com/B41LHzjFBf— Andy Carroll (@AndyTCarroll) September 1, 2015//platform.twitter.com/widgets.jslast_img

Live NFL draft updates: Rounds 2, 3 on Friday night

first_imgAfter dominating the news on the first day of the draft, see what both the Raiders and 49ers have in store for us all on Friday night. Follow our live feed for the latest rumors, news and analysis from our reporters and NFL insiders across the country as the draft begins at 4 p.m.If a trade is in the works or a player appears headed to the Bay Area, there’s a good chance you’ll read about it here first.The Raiders will pick third when the second round begins Friday and the 49ers will follow …last_img

Revenue points to improving economy

first_imgHe said despite the decline in revenue in the period 2008/09, South Africa’s overall revenue performance since the start of the economic crisis was favourable compared to developed economies and other emerging markets. Company Income Tax declined by more than R25-billion, of which about R12-billion could be attributed to the mining sector alone. Other sectors that were heavily affected included the financial sector, which declined by R14.5-billion, and the manufacturing sector, by R6.5-billion. On Thursday, Gordhan attributed the increase in revenue to several measures introduced by Sars last year, including the tough penalty system for non-compliant tax payers. Favourable comparison Ensuring increased compliance South Africa has seen an overall revenue growth of 4.5% over the past two-year period, while the United States experienced an overall decline of 14% for the same period. New Zealand recorded a 7.8% decline in revenue, while Australia and India both increased their revenue by 4.5% and 8.1% respectively. The South African Revenue Service (Sars) collected an impressive R598.5-billion for the 2009/10 financial year – R8.1-billion more than the revised estimate announced by Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan in his Budget speech in February. South Africa’s revenue performance for the past year could be confirmation that the country’s economy is on its way to recovery. “International experience has shown that times of economic hardship do not only result in lower tax revenues, but also adversely affects the levels of compliance amongst taxpayers,” Gordhan noted. He said that while consumption still remained low as a result of an estimated one million people losing their jobs last year, the results came as good news for South Africa. 1 April 2010 “Clearly this is a phenomenal performance considering the conditions we find ourselves in,” he said. “It is a good story for the country, and reinforces what we’ve been saying that the recovery is on its way … it’s there, and it’s slow.” In spite of this fact, Sars Commissioner Oupa Magashule said there had been a marked improvement in compliance by taxpayers, attributing this to improved database and filing systems. Source: BuaNews He said Sars employees had also worked around the clock to ensure that people were compliant and filed their tax documents on time. Sars staff made more than 744 000 follow-up calls reminding taxpayers of their obligation to file returns on time. But it was not all good news, with the figures indicating a sharp decrease in tax collected from companies affected by the economic downturn. Decrease in company taxlast_img read more

Girona v Barcelona 90% likely to be played in Miami, says La Liga president

first_img Twitter La Liga’s president, Javier Tebas. Photograph: Víctor Lerena/EPA Former Brazil striker Ronaldo becomes Real Valladolid’s majority owner Topics Facebook European club football Pinterest “The game is designed to help teams that don’t have a very big fan base,” Tebas added. “Girona are partly owned by City and together with [the Miami Dolphins owner] Stephen Ross, they told us Girona were interested in playing this game. Now, several teams with a similar profile to Girona have shown interest because they see it as an opportunity. Season-ticket holders will be compensated and there is an opportunity to travel to Miami. Relevent will pay the costs.”Girona, who were promoted to the top flight for the first time in 2017, said they had received the offer to play the game against Barcelona but it had yet to be officially confirmed. “The club has accepted this offer, understanding that it is a great possibility to expand and grow, not only for the club but also for our city and our territory,” a statement on their website said.“Three years ago, the club was fighting against going out of business and now our objective is to consolidate ourselves in La Liga. This action would be another step in competing in football’s elite after all the efforts we have made.” Share via Email Share on WhatsApp Share on Messenger La Liga Share on Twitter Read more The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email.center_img Girona Barcelona From Ibrox abuse to sacking Lopetegui: meet the head of Spain’s FA Share on Pinterest news La Liga’s president, Javier Tebas, has said there is a 90% chance the first Spanish top-flight game in the US will be Girona’s “home” match against Barcelona in January. Tebas also revealed that Girona’s joint majority shareholders, Manchester City, had encouraged them to get involved in the initiative. US sports The match has attracted considerable opposition within Spanish football as the players’ union claimed it was not consulted over the deal. Following a meeting of representatives from all 20 La Liga sides – including the Real Madrid captain, Sergio Ramos, and Barcelona’s Sergio Busquets – the union said strike action could not be ruled out.Both Busquets and his teammate Gerard Piqué, a vocal presence throughout the Catalan independence referendum, are said to be against playing the derby in the US and are considering their positions.Luis Rubiales, the president of the Spanish FA, has also strongly criticised the plans in an interview with the Guardian. “Tebas spoke to everyone except the people he had to speak to,” Rubiales said. “It’s a total lack of respect, unfaithful and incomprehensible.“He has totally ignored the players and even the clubs. His behaviour was terrible but very much like Tebas: very much lacking in respect. He has signed an agreement that it is not up to him to sign. It means nothing without our authorisation, so we’ll see what happens to this game.”Reports in Spain this week have also claimed no Catalan flags will be permitted inside the Hard Rock Stadium for the game, and 40,000 Spanish flags will be handed out for a match between two Catalan teams. Share on LinkedIn “Girona-Barcelona will 90% be played in the United States but the agreement is not about just one game, it’s about a process which is much bigger,” Tebas said in an interview with the Spanish radio station Onda Cero on Friday.Tebas revealed the league will earn €200m from playing games in North America in a 15-year deal signed with the US entertainment company Relevent last month, while stating that no club was obliged to take part in fixtures across the Atlantic. “We held a bidding process and various companies got involved. There’s no obligation for teams to play one game a year in the US, only the clubs who volunteer to go will go.”The game, scheduled for 27 January, will deprive Girona of a home fixture, with Tebas confirming reports that the club’s fans will be offered free flights to the game, set to take place at the Miami Dolphins’ 65,000-capacity Hard Rock Stadium in Florida.City’s parent company, the City Football Group, purchased a 44.3% stake in Girona in August last year, and share an identical holding to Girona Football Group, the agency owned by the City manager Pep Guardiola’s brother, Pere. The Premier League champions loaned Girona five players last summer: Pablo Maffeo, Aleix García, Douglas Luiz, Marlos Moreno and Larry Kayode. García and Douglas Luiz returned for this season, plus the forward Patrick Roberts. Read more Share on Facebook Reuse this contentlast_img read more