Facebook confession snares illegal immigrant rapist

first_imgSsewagudde denied rape after posting the Facebook messageAn illegal immigrant who confessed on his Facebook page that he had raped a woman has been jailed for four years.John Ssewagudde attacked the 28-year-old at her flat in the Shettleston area of Glasgow last June.The Ugandan-born 21-year-old later posted a message on the social network site saying: “I admit it. I raped you.”Ssewagudde later claimed he had consensual sex with the woman but was convicted of rape following a trial at the High Court in Glasgow last month.The court heard that Ssewagudde, a former charity worker, had been in Scotland illegally after his visitor’s visa expired.Text claimHis parents and sister were killed in a house fire in Uganda last year.Ssewagudde attacked the woman during a visit to her flat on 25 June last year.He was caught after the Facebook entry was found to have been sent via his mobile phone.When giving evidence at his trial, Ssewagudde claimed he had consensual sex with his victim.He also said the woman made him breakfast the morning after the attack and sent him two explicit text messages.Sentencing Ssewagudde, judge Lord Turnbull told him a custodial sentence was inevitable for such a serious offence. Share 19 Views   no discussions News Facebook confession snares illegal immigrant rapist by: – February 18, 2011 Tweet BBC News Share Share Sharing is caring!last_img read more

Women of Troy win their ninth consecutive match

first_imgPlaying its last regular season matches at Marks Stadium this weekend, USC took down the Arizona Wildcats then defeated the shorthanded Sun Devils for a perfect 7-0 conference record.Heading into a three-game road trip against the Pac-12’s elite teams, the Women of Troy are riding a nine-game winning streak and have matched their best streak since 2003. Still at No. 4 in the country and looking to move up in the rankings, USC boasts an 18-2 record on top of its unbeaten Pac-12 streak as well.While they may have a tough time taking on Cal, Stanford and UCLA — who all rank in the top 10, with the Lady Bruins leading the pack at No. 1 — the Women of Troy have carved out an extremely successful season thus far.Against the Wildcats, USC reverted back to its early season woes as the team started off the match losing the doubles point. Despite picking up a win on court 2 by way of the No. 52 Valeria Pulido and Zoë Scandalis pairing, the Women of Troy would drop matches at 3 and 1, with Natasha Marks and Lacey Smyth taking down the No. 2 duo of Kaitlyn Christian and Sabrina Santamaria 9-8 (7).Freshman Scandalis, now ranked 15th in the nation, would prevail for the game-deciding victory against Smyth in first singles, but not before gutting out a 7-6 (5) first set. Once the match was decided, junior Danielle Lao also had a strong victory on court 2 and Christian shrugged off a first set loss to recover for a win on court 4.On Saturday, the Women of Troy squared off against a short-handed, yet upset-minded Sun Devils squad.Unlike its match against Arizona, USC took the first two doubles games after the match on court 3 was won by default. On top of the third doubles match, ASU also had to forfeit matches on courts 5 and court 6 for singles because of a plethora of injuries to the squad.The long-anticipated rematch between Scandalis and ASU’s Jacqueline Cako was a dud since Cako was out with an injury, but in her place was Michelle Brycki who would take the match 7-6 (2), 6-4.The Women of Troy would easily take the matches on courts 2 and 3, but in four singles Christian had her hands full with Leighann Sahagun. Despite losing the first set 0-6, Christian displayed her usual grittiness and came back to take the match 6-1, 1-0 (10-5) after an intense tiebreaker.With these two wins in the bag, the Women of Troy can focus the team’s attention on their arduous road ahead. This road trip will go a long way toward solidifying USC’s place among the nation’s elite. With the season ending in Westwood, the Women of Troy will look to exact some revenge on their crosstown rivals and take their place as the top team in the Pac-12.last_img read more

TCTV’s SHOW OFF! Talent Contest Selects Finalists

first_imgFacebook9Tweet0Pin0 Submitted by TCTVA one-man-band, jazz dancers, vocalists, baton twirlers, a rock band, and a girl with a green cup as a percussion instrument are among acts featured in the 2013 TCTV SHOW OFF! Talent Contest.The SHOW OFF! final competition is Sunday, April 14 at 2 PM at the Washington Center for the Performing Arts.  Admission is FREE to the public.    The performers, spanning ages 9 to 50+ were selected from 29 acts that tried out on March 9th.The SHOW OFF! final competition will be carried LIVE on TCTV cable channel 22 & 77 in Thurston County, and streamed to a world wide audience on the Internet at www.tctv.net.   A stellar panel of judges will select a Judges Choice winner at the end of the show on April 14th.SHOW OFF!  is a fund raiser for TCTV.  The generosity of the audience determines the Audience Choice winner.  Every $1 donated to TCTV by the viewing audience will be counted as a vote for the donor’s favorite act.  The SHOW OFF! Final Competition program will be replayed several times between April 14th and April 20th so the viewing audience can watch and vote for the Audience Choice winner.   You can vote for your favorite act at www.tctv.net.  The Audience Choice Award will be announced at 7:00 PM on Saturday, April 20, 2013 during a LIVE program from the TCTV studios.Proceeds from SHOW OFF! support TCTV’s ongoing community media and training programs.This is the fourth year TCTV has produced SHOW OFF! Talent Contest.  Past winners include a 12-year old singer from Yakima, a doo-wop vocal group from Capital Playhouse, a mother-daughter interpretive sign-language performance and a 9-year old girl drummer.last_img read more

Public urged to remain vigilant as Storm Atiyah strikes

first_imgDonegal County Council is urging the public to remain vigilant as Storm Atiyah passes across the western seaboard today and into this evening.Met Eireann has issued a status OrangeWind warning for Donegal and all counties along the western seaboard from 9am today until 6am on Monday morning and a Yellow weather alert for rain in Donegal valid until 6pm this evening. Earlier today Met Eireann increased the warning status for Kerry to red.Donegal County Council’s Severe Weather Assessment Team is currently monitoring the advice from the National Directorate for Fire and Emergency Management (NDFEM) and weather forecasts from Met Éireann and the Council remains in a state of readiness to deal with any incidents arising from the storm. However to date there has been no storm related call outs for the Fire Service in Donegal and reports of only a small number of fallen trees that Council crews have responded to.The Council is urging the public to keep up to date with the weather forecasts and to take the necessary precautions to stay safe and protect property during this weather event.Keep up to date on Council services by registering at www.mapalerter.com/donegal or by following Donegal County Council on Facebook @donegalcoco or on Twitter @DonegalCouncil .During office hours you can contact theCouncil on 074 91 53900 and in the event of an out of hours emergency call 074 91 72288. Public urged to remain vigilant as Storm Atiyah strikes was last modified: December 8th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Double Tri Nations win for SA

first_imgSouth Africa is the Tri Nations winechampion as well as the rugby cupholder.(Image: Stellenbosch Wine Routes) MEDIA CONTACTS • Rianie StrydomGM, Haskell Vineyards+27 82 290 6399• Andre MorgenthalCommunications Manager, Wines of SA+27 21 883 3860Janine ErasmusNot only is South Africa tops in the Tri Nations rugby ranking, it’s also the reigning champion in the lesser known, yet no less prestigious, Tri Nations wine challenge.The annual Tri Nations rugby tournament, contested by South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, draws millions of sports-mad fans each year. The same three nations vie for the Tri Nations wine challenge, which this year took place in Sydney, Australia, in September.In 2009 the Springboks outshone all opposition on the field, while a Shiraz from Haskell Vineyards in Stellenbosch snatched the sought-after Four Seasons Hotel Trophy for the best wine of the show – right from under the noses of 321 of its southern hemisphere rivals.Haskell Pillars Syrah 2007 also took the award for the best Shiraz on show, as well as the best red, which is not surprising given South Africa’s long-standing reputation as a producer of world-quality wines.Haskell GM and winemaker Rianie Strydom was ecstatic. Invitation to the competition is by invitation only, and she was honoured just to have been able to participate.“I am proud that our wine performed so well internationally. This is not only an award for Haskell Vineyards, but for South Africa,” she enthused. “It shows that our wines have come of age.”Strydom, who holds a Bachelor of Science degree in agriculture, with viticulture and oenology as majors, added that she was thrilled to have beaten Australia’s top winemakers on their own turf. She joined Haskell in 2004 after a 10-year tenure as winemaker with the award-winning Morgenhof estate.Other South African wine estates that shone on the night include Kleine Zalze, which took the trophy for best Cabernet, and Doolhof, which was the runner-up. All in all, local wines brought home an impressive 19 gold medals – South Africa’s best result at the competition so far.Among the medallists were Pongracz, Cape Chamonix, Nederburg, Constantia Glen, Neethlingshof, Rustenberg, Fleur du Cap, Lomond, Kaapzicht, Beaumont, Kanu, Springfontein, Laibach, Neil Ellis, Boekenhoutskloof, and Anthonij Rupert.Setting the standardThis is not the first time that a South African wine has walked off with the big prize. Warwick Wine Estate claimed the same honour when it won the Tri Nations challenge in 1999 for its 1998 Warwick Chardonnay.But Haskell Pillars Syrah 2007 has set a new standard by becoming the first local wine to be named best red as well.The Haskell range of wines will hit the stores in November 2009, giving the young Haskell Vineyards the best start they could have wished for.Prestigious competitionThe Tri Nations wine competition was established in 1995. This year’s edition, the 14th, saw only the best wines from the three countries – each wine therefore a potential winner – facing off.Wines compete in 13 classes, with between 20 and 30 wines in each class, and are blind-tasted by the judging panel, which comprises one judge from each participating country.Once all the entrants have been tasted the 13 category winners are judged again for best red, best white, and best wine on show. The top 13 wines each receive a trophy, and the three best wines overall receive a perpetual trophy.South Africa’s 2009 representative was the experienced wine consultant and international judge Michael Fridjhon, who has been a Tri Nations judge from the start and this year chaired the panel. Australia was represented by professional wine writer Huon Hooke, while wine master Bob Campbell represented New Zealand.Wine countryHaskell Vineyards is situated on the slopes of the Helderberg mountains in the premium wine-growing region of Stellenbosch in the Western Cape province.The 23ha farm, which sits next to the famous Rust en Vrede winery, was known as Dombeya (Latin, meaning “wild pear” in reference to a tree that grows freely in the region) until American entrepreneur Preston Haskell bought it in 2002. Haskell, who lives in Moscow, is one of Russia’s top property developers.The American soon brought Australian Grant Dodd on board as his business partner and the two wasted no time in making a number of improvements, among them a brand new state-of-the-art cellar that can process 150 tons of grapes.According to Haskell, his goal is to produce 10 000 cases in total of Haskell and Dombeya wines over the next few years.With 15ha of vines, the estate still produces Dombeya wines and has garnered a number of awards for them, but will soon launch its own brand. Haskell Pillars Shiraz 2007 is the first product of that label and already seems destined for greatness.Queries or comments? Contact Janine Erasmus at [email protected]last_img read more

BCCI to decide on shifting England tour game from BKC ground on Wednesday

first_imgThe Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is expected to take a decision on Wednesday on the request made by Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) to shift England’s second tour game from the BKC Ground to DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai.”I’m meeting the BCCI chief (N Srinivasan) tomorrow (to discuss the matter). I’m confident the Board would agree to the change in venue,” said MCA president Ravi Savant today.Savant continued to maintain his stand that the ground at the Bandra-Kurla COmplex (BKC) lacked facilities for holding such an important game, scheduled from November 3-5. “The BKC ground does not have facilities like toilets for the spectators. There are no catering facilities around the ground. And the fence is not tall or strong enough to prevent the crowd from jumping on to the ground,” he said.The Mumbai police, too, are sceptical about the security in and around the place, Sawant said adding that provisional bookings have been done at hotels in Navi Mumbai to accommodate the players.England are scheduled to reach Mumbai on October 29 and will prepare for the four-Test series — considered a grudge rubber by India after their 0-4 rout in the last away series last year — by playing three warm-up tour games — two in Mumbai and the third in Ahmedabad, venue of the opening match of the rubber.England’s tour opener is scheduled from October 30 to November 1 at the Cricket Club of India’s Brabourne Stadium and the third game is to be held on a ground, just outside the Sardar Patel Stadium at Motera from November 8-11.advertisementThe opening Test is scheduled at the Motera main stadium from November 15-19 with the subsequent Tests scheduled in Mumbai, Kolkata (Dec 5-9) and Nagpur (Dec 13-17).England would play two T20 Internationals against India on December 20 (Pune) and December 22 (Mumbai) prior to departing home for the Christmas and New Year break, before returning to play in a five-match ODI series in January 2013.last_img read more

a month agoMourinho admits he deserved Man Utd axe: But I’m not enjoying this

first_imgMourinho admits he deserved Man Utd axe: But I’m not enjoying thisby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveJose Mourinho says he deserved to be sacked as Manchester United manager.But speaking after United’s 2-0 loss to West Ham United on Sunday, the Portuguese insists he did not enjoy watching the club struggle under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.”I’m not the right person to answer it,” Mourinho said on Sky Sports when asked about United’s problems.”They are far behind. It’s difficult for me to answer. I was there for two seasons where I could feel lots of positive things and I could feel the direction to go in, then obviously the third season was not good enough.”I was sacked, I probably deserved to be sacked because I was responsible as the manager, but the sad reality is that they are worse than before.”And for me that is a sad thing. Maybe people think I’m enjoying the situation but I’m not enjoying it at all.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

25 days agoCleverley calls on fans to ‘stick with’ struggling Watford

first_imgCleverley calls on fans to ‘stick with’ struggling Watfordby Freddie Taylor25 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveTom Cleverley wants everyone associated with Watford to stay patient as they attempt to climb out of a hole.The Hornets have yet to win a game all season, while they only have two points from their first seven league games.It puts them rock bottom, four points off safety. But Cleverley does not want a knee jerk reaction from players, fans or management.”Stick with us,” he said to reporters when asked what he would like to tell fans.”It’s not a work rate issue, hopefully they can see that. Maybe at times, there’s been a lack of quality and maybe a lack of intensity defensively but stick with us, we’ll keep putting the work in and we’re working for our performances to improve.”As players, we just have to be accountable for our own performances, take responsibility and work as hard as we possibly can until it gets better.”We’re a team with two points out of seven, low on confidence, it’s not clicked. “The new signings have both started today and maybe we need a little bit of time to bed in, but you’ve just got to be accountable for yourself and that’s what I’m going to do until we’re out of this little lull we’re in.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more