RSF website blocked in Egypt

first_imgNews Receive email alerts to go further EgyptMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesOnline freedoms August 17, 2017 RSF website blocked in Egypt Egyptian websites try to resist blocking Follow the news on Egypt EgyptMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesOnline freedoms Help by sharing this information RSF_en Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is dismayed to learn that its website is now one of more than 100 news and information sites that are blocked in Egypt. It calls on the authorities to provide an explanation and to restore access to all blocked sites without delay. News Organisation Access to the RSF site (https://rsf.org), which carries information about media freedom violations worldwide in several languages including Arabic, has been blocked within Egypt since 14 August.It is blocked via all Internet Services Providers, including Vodafone, Orange, Etisalat and the state-owned Tedata. By blocking the site, Egypt is joining such non-democratic countries as Iran and China, which has blocked RSF twice in the past.RSF has tried without success to find out why it is blocked. Its staff reached officials at several governmental bodies by telephone, including the ministry of telecommunications and the Supreme Council for Media, but all professed not to know the reason for the blocking or who ordered it.A press officer at the National Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (NTRA) said the NTRA was not responsible for the blocking. “This is the first time that the RSF site has been blocked in Egypt,” said Alexandra El Khazen, the head of RSF’s Middle East desk. “We are extremely concerned about this iniquitous measure and we expect an explanation from the authorities for why RSF.org and more than 130 other sites are now inaccessible. “This extensive digital blackout in Egypt is not just a grave attack on freedom of information. It also indicative of a fear on the part of the regime that an informed public could pose a threat to its stability.” Mass blocking cloaked in deafening silenceThe Supreme Council for Media told RSF it would open an investigation into the blocking if RSF submitted a request for an official explanation. But RSF has learned that media outlets such Masr al arabia, Al Bedaiah and Mada Masr have submitted requests of this kind without ever obtaining an explanation. Several blocked sites have filed complaints or have turned to the Egyptian Journalists Syndicate in an attempt to find out the reasons for the blocking and identify the entity responsible. These initiatives have also so far been unsuccessful.The website blocking began without warning or explanation on 24 May, when several dozen were blocked. The list of blocked sites has grown steadily ever since. It is the Association for Freedom of Thought and Expression (AFTE), an Egyptian NGO, that puts the number of sites now blocked at 135.The targets include electronic media, the online versions of traditional media and the sites of human rights NGOs and think tanks. They also include sites offering VPN services or the Tor Browser, which enable Internet users to circumvent website blocking.“Egypt is now in a digital black hole,” Lina Attalah said last month. Attalah is the editor of Mada Masr, an influential independent newspaper that is published in both Arabic and English.RSF notes that its site was blocked shortly after it posted a press release condemning the fact that Mahmoud Abou Zeid, a photojournalist also known as Shawkan, had just completed four years in illegal and arbitrary detention.Shawkan has been held ever since his arrest on 14 August 2013, while covering a demonstration in Cairo’s Rabaa al-Adawiya Square by supporters of deposed President Mohamed Morsi and the ensuing use of force by the security forces to break up the protest.In today’s media environment, journalists are often imprisoned or subjected to judicial harassment, media outlets are censored or controlled, and new media are under the regime’s thumb. Egypt is ranked 161st out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. July 5, 2017 Find out morelast_img read more

Quicken Calls Lawsuit ‘Meritless and Frivolous’

first_img December 5, 2017 3,446 Views Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago About Author: David Wharton Home / Daily Dose / Quicken Calls Lawsuit ‘Meritless and Frivolous’ Subscribe David Wharton, Managing Editor at the Five Star Institute, is a graduate of the University of Texas at Arlington, where he received his B.A. in English and minored in Journalism. Wharton has over 16 years’ experience in journalism and previously worked at Thomson Reuters, a multinational mass media and information firm, as Associate Content Editor, focusing on producing media content related to tax and accounting principles and government rules and regulations for accounting professionals. Wharton has an extensive and diversified portfolio of freelance material, with published contributions in both online and print media publications. Wharton and his family currently reside in Arlington, Texas. He can be reached at [email protected] Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago in Daily Dose, Featured, Journal, News, Secondary Market Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Previous: Senate Banking Committee Approves Jerome Powell as Fed Chair Next: Silver Lining to Rising Home Prices . . . Quicken Loans today responded to a new class-action lawsuit alleging the online mortgage lender illegally collected personal information from visitors to its website. The suit claims Quicken Loans and marketing company NaviStone used keystroke logging technology to gather information such as names, addresses, and other sensitive data as website visitors filled out online forms. Quicken Loans said they are confident the case will be quickly dismissed.The lawsuit was filed Friday, December 1, in a Newark, New Jersey federal court. It alleges that Quicken Loans and NaviStone violated Title I of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986, colloquially known as the “Wiretap Act.”The suit states:On several occasions within the past six months, [the plaintiff] visited Quickenloans.com, but has never procured financial services from Quicken as a result of these visits. During each of the plaintiff’s visits Quicken wiretapped his electronic communications with the website, disclosed the intercepted data to NaviStone in real time, and used the intercepted data to attempt to learn his identity, postal address, and other [personally identifiable information].Quicken Loans released an official statement on the case, which reads, in part:This case is nothing more than an attempt by Plaintiff Michael Allen and his attorney, Frederick Klorczyk of Bursor & Fisher in New York City, to manufacture claims in an effort to coerce a settlement for their own gain. Klorczyk and Bursor & Fisher are attempting to run the standard playbook of predatory plaintiff’s law firms by bringing the same manufactured claims against a variety of defendants in an attempt to coerce them to ‘settle’ as opposed to incurring expensive legal costs and potential publicity due to the public nature of these lawsuits.Quicken Loans has no intention of settling these meritless claims. The complaint, which copies verbatim allegations filed by the same law firm against other defendants, appears to be spurred almost entirely by an erroneous media report. It is frivolous allegations like these that are clogging the courts and slowing progress on more pressing—and legitimate—matters.As alluded to in Quicken Loans’ statement, this is the fourth such lawsuit leveled against NaviStone in the past week, with others claiming similar activities between NaviStone and online mattress retailer Casper Sleep Inc., clothing retailer Moosejaw, and retailer Charles Tyrwhitte, Inc.Quicken Loans has been on the forefront of embracing online mortgage technology, chiefly through its “Rocket Mortgage” program, which allows users to upload financial details and receive a loan decision swiftly and entirely through the website or mobile app. In October 2017, Quicken Loans announced a partnership with digital transaction solutions manager eOriginal to incorporate an electronic note into Rocket Mortgage and store it as an authoritative copy through the eVault.You can read the full lawsuit filing by clicking here. Sign up for DS News Daily center_img Tagged with: Class-Action Lawsuit Consumer Privacy keystroke logger Lawsuit navistone privacy Quicken Loans wiretap act  Print This Post The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Share Save The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Class-Action Lawsuit Consumer Privacy keystroke logger Lawsuit navistone privacy Quicken Loans wiretap act 2017-12-05 David Wharton Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Related Articles Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Quicken Calls Lawsuit ‘Meritless and Frivolous’ Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days agolast_img read more