President Trump’s campaign team, facing a narrowing path to victory, on Thursday held firm to its predictions that the race will be called for the incumbent as soon as Friday, and said it will likely be filing additional legal actions.Mr. Trump’s aides said that the campaign was creating a website for people to track what’s taking place in terms of the various counts in different states and a hotline to report allegations of fraud.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – The campaign officials said they feel good about their prospects in Georgia, where the race has tightened. Bill Stepien, the campaign manager, professed optimism, saying that people had prematurely counted Mr. Trump out at various junctures since the 2016 presidential primaries.“Donald Trump is alive and well,” he said.Not surprisingly, the campaign of Joseph R. Biden Jr. sees the electoral landscape differently. “Our data shows that Joe Biden will be the next president of the United States,” Biden’s campaign manager, Jennifer O’Malley Dillon, said at a press briefing. – Advertisement –
Fourteen of the 16 people identified in the outbreak had consumed marshmallow milk shakes, Judy MacDonald, MD, MCM, of Calgary Health Region told CIDRAP News today. MacDonald is deputy medical officer of health working on communicable disease control for the agency. The Calgary Health Region traced the outbreak to a longtime employee of Peters’ Drive-In, according to the Calgary Herald. The employee reportedly came to work despite being ill. She made a marshmallow milk shake mix that was served at Peters’ from Apr 22 to 26, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) reported on May 10. She said the outbreak carries an important lesson about food safety: although E coli infections are usually associated with eating undercooked ground beef, the pathogen can get into other foods if they are handled by infected people. Some of those who fell ill in this outbreak are vegetarians, she added. The worker who made the milk shakes had the first case identified in the outbreak, said MacDonald. She was symptomatic before Apr 22 and continued to work until she was found to have a possible case of E coli on Apr 25. Using pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE), authorities have been able to confirm that the same strain of E coli infected at least 9 of the 16 people, MacDonald reported. The next week, on May 2 and 3, lab tests showed several more E coli cases, MacDonald said. Because a food worker had already been diagnosed, investigators quickly focused on the drive-in and found links among 15 cases. One case has not been linked to the drive-in, MacDonald said. The CBC reported that three people were hospitalized briefly. A fourth, a 15-year-old named Sara Burgess, had a marshmallow shake on Apr 24, the Herald reported. The next day, she began vomiting and was hospitalized. She developed hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) and has been receiving dialysis at Alberta Children’s Hospital because of kidney failure. She remained in fair to serious condition today, according to MacDonald. May 13, 2005 (CIDRAP News) Sixteen people have fallen sick and one is hospitalized with Escherichia coli O157:H7, most of them after drinking milk shakes at a popular drive-in restaurant in Calgary, Alta. Dr. Glen Armstrong, head of infectious diseases at the University of Calgary, told the CBC that foodservice workers should stay home if they’re feeling ill. MacDonald said its too soon to rule out the possibility of more cases. The drive-in was temporarily closed, but it has been cleaned and reopened, the Toronto Globe and Mail newspaper reported on May 7.
Editor’s note: Because of a technical problem, this story was not published until Mar 27.Mar 26, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) opened a meeting with Asian health officials in Jakarta today to hear their concerns about access to H5N1 influenza vaccines and discuss solutions that might allow researchers to regain unrestricted access to H5N1 samples.Indonesia brought the issue to the forefront in February when it announced it would send no more H5N1 samples to the WHO until it received assurances that the strains would not be used by private companies to make vaccines that the country couldn’t afford.Though some countries and health officials support Indonesia’s use of the virus samples as leverage to gain access to H5N1 vaccines, others have charged that Indonesia is impeding global efforts to chart the spread of the disease, track genetic mutations, and develop new vaccines.In his opening remarks at the 2-day conference today, which were e-mailed to journalists, David Heymann, the WHO’s acting director-general for communicable diseases, said responsible virus sharing requires both unrestricted access to novel influenza viruses and equitable access to pandemic vaccines that result from the sharing.Heymann defended the WHO’s history of coordinating vaccine development and production on behalf of developing nations. In 1997 the WHO responded to a major meningitis outbreak in sub-Saharan Africa by mobilizing the production and distribution of 3 million doses of vaccine.”To date, more than 20 million doses of meningococcal vaccine have been channeled through the International Coordinating Group mechanism, and improvements in surveillance have occurred because the prospect of having access to vaccine is a compelling incentive to report cases,” Heymann said. A similar mechanism was recently established to coordinate stockpiling and distribution of yellow fever vaccine for Latin America and Africa, he added.The Jakarta meeting will allow the WHO and the 18 Asian nations to discuss not only virus-sharing proposals that will be debated at the World Health Assembly in May, but also obligations that countries have under the revised International Health Regulations, which take effect in June, Heymann said.He predicted the meeting would bring discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of material-transfer agreements and other virus-sharing mechanisms, “and it will become clear that most of these mechanisms would impede rather than facilitate the world’s risk assessment and preparedness for an influenza pandemic.”Indonesian Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari has asked the WHO for a binding guarantee that H5N1 samples won’t be used to develop commercial vaccines priced out of the country’s reach. Indonesia also signed a memorandum of understanding with US vaccine producer Baxter International that laid the groundwork for future collaborations or supply agreements.At the meeting today, Supari told reporters that if Indonesia had its own WHO collaborating center and vaccine factory, it would not need to send viruses outside the country, the Associated Press reported.The WHO said last week that projects to establish flu-vaccine manufacturing capacities in up to six developing countries—four in Asia and two in Latin America—were “in the final stage of approval.” Japan and the United States have provided $18 million toward the effort, the WHO said. But Heymann’s prepared speech did not mention those projects.US Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt said in a Mar 23 press release that the United States provided $10 million toward the WHO’s vaccine supply expansion plan. “Responding to a pandemic demands the cooperation of the world community, as no nation can go it alone. If a country is to protect its own people, it must work together with other nations to protect the people of the world,” he said.Heymann said solutions for improving H5N1 vaccine access in developing countries will require both short- and long-term measures, which could include:National stockpilesVirtual stockpiles—certain amounts of pandemic vaccine that producers would set aside for the WHO to buy for developing countriesFill-and-finish operations that allow developing countries to package bulk vaccine from manufacturersTechnology-transfer agreements like those used for the conjugate meningitis vaccine, which would allow developing countries to add to the world’s flu vaccine supply.See also:Mar 22 CIDRAP News story “WHO: Six developing countries may get flu vaccine plants”Mar 23 HHS press releasehttp://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2007pres/03/20070323e.html
H1N1 FLU BREAKING NEWS: Case counts, vaccine progress, situation in northern Canada, Australia holding steady, traveler quarantine
Global H1N1 flu count closes in on 30,000The global number of novel H1N1 cases grew by 895 yesterday, reaching 29,669 from 74 countries, including 145 deaths, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported today. Much of the increase was from new cases reported by Canada (532), Spain (131), Argentina (87), and Japan (31). No new countries appeared on the list, though media reports said today that Morocco has reported its first case, in a woman who had studied in Canada.[WHO update 48]US novel H1N1 cases near 18,000The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported today that the nation’s count of novel flu cases has grown to 17,855, an increase of 4,638 from its last report on Jun 5. Deaths reported to the CDC over the past week rose by 18 to reach 45. Wisconsin, Texas, and Illinois have the most cases, while New York has reported the most fatalities (13).[Current CDC numbers]Novartis, CSL report vaccine progressNovartis announced today that it has produced its first batch of novel H1N1 vaccine for testing. The company said it completed the batch weeks ahead of schedule by using cell-culture technology. Its production facility is in Germany, with another under construction in North Carolina. Meanwhile, CSL, an Australian company, said yesterday it would have its first vaccine batches ready in mid August, using a seed strain it developed for an egg-based vaccine, Bloomberg News reported.[Jun 12 Novartis press release]Cases mount in northern CanadaH1N1 cases in northern Canada’s Nunavut territory increased by 47 to a total of 143 yesterday, according to CBC News. Significant outbreaks were reported in several communities in the western and central parts of the territory, but most of the patients have recovered or are recovering, the story said. Earlier this week the World Health Organization voiced concern about a disproportionate number of severe H1N1 cases in some groups of indigenous Canadian people, particularly in northern Manitoba.[Jun 11 CBC News report]Australia holds steady on alert levels following WHO moveAustralian Health Minister Nicola Roxon said Australia would not raise its pandemic alert levels in response to the WHO’s pandemic declaration yesterday, according to the Australian Associated Press (AAP). Most of the country is at the “contain” stage, but Victoria, which has 1,011 of the country’s 1,336 cases, is at the “sustain” level, the story said. Roxon said the authorities would continue to try to delay community spread in areas that still have few cases.[Jun 12 AAP report]Incoming air travelers quarantined in CairoA dozen arriving airline passengers in Cairo were quarantined after two 9-year-olds were found to be feverish, according to the Kuwait News Agency (KUNA). One of the children arrived in Egypt from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, and the other arrived from Dubai. Authorities quarantined the two children and their families, said the airport’s quarantine director, Dr. Hasan Shaban. Meanwhile, classes at American University in Cairo, suspended this week after H1N1 cases were found, will resume next week.[Jun 12 KUNA report]
Expanding its foreign markets in Asia systematically and in the long run, Uniline, Croatia’s largest tour operator, has opened, after Shanghai, its office in Seoul, South Korea.Uniline’s new office is located in a residential part of Seoul, about a kilometer and a half from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Korea and about two kilometers from the Dynasty Palace. “Uniline’s goal is for every tenth Korean to experience and get to know the beauties of Croatia and South-Eastern Europe in the long run. ” pointed out Robert Sedlar, executive sales director of the travel company Uniline. In order to achieve these goals, the company announces numerous marketing and sales activities in the Korean market, and for this purpose, negotiations are underway to open an air charter line between Seoul and Dubrovnik.According to the latest census, South Korea has over 51 million inhabitants, and in 2016 in Croatia there were about 380 thousand arrivals and 450 thousand overnight stays of Korean guests, which is 10% more than in 2015, or in the last 6 to 7 years increased by as much as 30 times. The scale and goal are set high, but luck accompanies the brave and persistent visionaries, so we should certainly praise Uniline’s efforts and proactivity in developing new markets, including a large market such as South Korea.Pictured: (left) Robert Sedlar, Sales Executive and (right) Kwang Hyun Kyle Kim, Head of Korean market Korean reality shows as an impetus to arrivals The impetus for the arrival of Koreans in Croatia was the filming of a reality show ”The Romantic in Croatia” 2012, which encouraged numerous groups of young Koreans to go in search of love in several Croatian destinations. This was followed by the filming of the series “Noonas over Flowers” in which several famous Korean actresses travel to Croatia as backpackers. The series, which aired from late November 2013 to January 2014, soon became the most popular travel documentary in Korea. The next two reality shows were filmed in 2015.Related news: ROBERT SEDLAR, UNILINE: GREAT SUPPORT FOR THE INITIATIVE STARTED BY UNILINE BECAUSE SLAVONIA HAS A LOT TO OFFER AND SHOW
The first meeting of the Working Group for the drafting of the Law on Tourist Boards, Tourist Tax and Membership Fees was held
A major reform of tourist boards in Croatia is underway, as well as the way the CNTB works, which has been announced several times, and the first meeting of the Working Group for drafting the Law on Tourist Boards and Promoting Croatian Tourism, the Law on Residence Tax and Amendments to the Law has been held. on membership fees in tourist boards was held at the Ministry of Tourism on October 17, where Minister of Tourism Gari Cappelli participated as coordinator.Minister of Tourism Gary Cappell-i announced that tourist boards must deal more effectively with the promotion and management of destinations, and that is why preparations are underway to amend the Law on Tourist Boards, which is planned to be completed by the end of the year. “The direction of drafting this law is in the direction of remaining county tourist boards, but that they must strengthen their knowledge in promotion, branding, marketing and PR. We also want to reform the Main Office of the Croatian National Tourist Board, from which we expect greater engagement in the promotion of the country in certain markets, but with full control over the efficiency of every kuna spent in the process. Given the rapidly changing trends of supply and demand, access to markets and the concept of promotion, it is necessary to be more up-to-date and faster to adapt to new challenges. Our goal is to reform the entire system of tourist boards and representative offices in the world in a way that they are more efficient, proactive and ultimately more competitive, which is a prerequisite for the continued growth of Croatian tourism. ” Cappelli points out and concludes that we need stronger promotion of special products, but also much better promotion of the continent.The working group for drafting laws in tourism consists of members and stakeholders from different segments of the tourism system in Croatia.You can see the list of members below:Ivan Arambašić (Davorin Purgarić, replacement member), Croatian National Tourist BoardMartina Bienenfeld (Luka Benko, replacement member), Zagreb Tourist BoardVladimir Bakić, Dubrovnik-Neretva County Tourist Board (Joško Stella, Split-Dalmatia County Tourist Board, replacement member)Denis Ivošević (Ana Pibernik, replacement member), Istria County Tourist BoardRujana Bušić Srpak, Vukovar-Srijem County Tourist Board (Antonio Sobol, Osijek-Baranja County Tourist Board, replacement member)Rudi Grula, Međimurje County Tourist Board (Ksenija Tomić, Krapina-Zagorje County Tourist Board, replacement member)Krunoslav Kapetanović (Šime Klarić, replacement member), National Association of Family and Small HotelsNada Prodan Mraković (Marlena Floigl, replacement member), Croatian Association of CountiesToni Mateša (Helena Mesarić, replacement member), Association of CitiesMartin Baričević (Franjo Bukal, replacement member), Association of MunicipalitiesRonald Korotaj (Iva Bahunek, replacement member), Croatian Hotel Employers AssociationTomislav Fain (Ivana Maltar, replacement member), Association of Croatian Travel AgenciesTihomir Nikolaš (Adriano Palman, replacement member), Croatian Camping AssociationNenad Šepak (Krešimir Tomić, replacement member), Croatian Chamber of CraftsTomislav Popović (Željko Kukurin, replacement member), Croatian Employers’ AssociationAntonia Urlić (Nenad Nizić, replacement member), Croatian Chamber of CommerceDanijela Čavlović (Lana Petrović, replacement member), Croatian Chamber of Commerce-Family Accommodation AssociationDragan Magaš, Faculty of Management in Tourism and Hospitality – OpatijaIvan Herak, Faculty of Economics – OsijekKatarina Miličević, Institute of TourismSinisa Topalovic, Horwath HTLĐurđica Šimičić, Jadranka ddSnježana Brzica, Assistant Minister, Ministry of TourismTonči Glavina, State Secretary, Ministry of TourismGari Cappelli, Minister of Tourism, Coordinator of the Working Group.In accordance with the Tourism Development Strategy until 2020, the Implementation of the Tourism Development Strategy of the Republic of Croatia until 2020 presupposes an efficient system of destination management at the local and regional level and coordination of national tourism policy with the development of destination products. Ensuring that the tourist system takes on the role of destination management, it is necessary to redefine the tasks and responsibilities of regional and local tourist boards, while respecting the principle of financial 82 self-sufficiency.The rationalization of the system implies the application of the principles of spatial-functional and production integrity, whereby the tourist communities will gradually take over the function of complete destination management organizations (DMO). This includes their appropriate staffing and education and training for destination development management, which especially refers to the tasks of strengthening the competitiveness of the destination and the ability to coordinate and harmonize the often conflicting interests of stakeholders in the destination.Attachment: Tourism Development Strategy of the Republic of Croatia until 2020