Paramour’s Ruby Lewis on Her Jaw-Dropping Party Trick, Fave Starlet & First Time at the Circus

first_img Related Shows Age: 31Hometown: Shelbyville, KentuckyCurrent Role: Making her Broadway debut as the leading lady Indigo James in Cirque du Soleil’s Broadway show Paramour, which is an extravaganza of music, storytelling and eye-popping acrobatics set in Hollywood’s Golden Age.Stage & Screen Cred: Lewis’ stage credits include the national tours of We Will Rock You, Jersey Boys, Grease and Gypsy as well as West Coast productions of Baz, 9 to 5 and more. Her film and TV credits include Medium, Brothers and Sisters, Rules of Engagement, Desperate Housewives, Masters of Sex, Girls Meets World, Pass the Light, Another Perfect Stranger and more. Cirque du Soleil PARAMOUR Ruby Lewis photographed at The Skylark (Photo: Caitlin McNaney) center_img Show Closed This production ended its run on April 16, 2017 View Commentslast_img read more

Australia’s South32 in talks to exit thermal coal business in South Africa

first_imgAustralia’s South32 in talks to exit thermal coal business in South Africa FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:Australian miner South32 Ltd reported a bigger-than-expected 25% drop in annual profit as the trade war between China and the United States hurt aluminum prices, sending its shares lower by as much as 5.8% on Thursday.South32 also said it was in talks to sell its South Africa thermal coal business to Johannesburg-based Seriti Resources, the latest company to get out of energy coal at a time when investor pressure and climate change concerns are prompting businesses to limit their exposure to fossil fuels.The miner, which had flagged last year that it was looking to sell its energy coal business in South Africa, did not disclose a deal value, but said it consists of a modest upfront cash payment and a deferred price mechanism.The planned sale follows Rio Tinto’s exit from coal in 2018 and comes days after the head of BHP Group, the world’s biggest miner, said the company had put its thermal coal operations under review.Norway’s $1 trillion sovereign wealth fund said in June it may have to sell its stake in South32 to meet tighter ethical investing rules adopted by the country’s parliament.More: Profit slumps at Australia’s South32 as trade war hits aluminum priceslast_img read more

Equipment set on fire at Mountain Valley Pipeline site + NC dodges 140 tons of toxic compound

first_imgEquipment set on fire at Mountain Valley Pipeline site investigated as arsonA piece of earth moving equipment has been set on fire at Mountain Valley Pipeline construction site in Virginia, causing $500,000 in damage. Authorities received a call on Saturday night reporting a car fire but when they arrived they found a Caterpillar PL87 pipe layer located in the pipeline construction right-of-way ablaze. The fire damaged no other equipment. Fire marshals have decided that the fire was set intentionally and are investigating it as arson. The proposed Mountain Valley Pipeline is a 303-mile pipeline that will run from northwestern West Virginia to southern Virginia. Malec Brothers withdraw permit to use methyl bromide in Columbus County, NCAn Australian company that had planned to emit up to 140 tons of toxic compound in their log fumigation business has withdrawn their air permit to emit methyl bromide, says the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). The plan encountered strong public opposition and state officials scrambled to petition the Environmental Management Commission for a new rule to add methyl bromide to the state’s list of air toxins. Methyl bromide has been banned internationally for most uses because of its toxicity and ozone-depleting properties, but log fumigation is an exception. China will accept only exported logs that have been fumigated, but Malec Brothers has decided to debark the logs instead. The fumigation would have taken place less than a mile from a school.last_img read more

Shirley Man Struck, Killed by 2 Cars

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 59-year-old man was fatally hit by two cars while crossing a road in his hometown of Shirley man on New Year’s Eve.Suffolk County police said William Martin was walking in the westbound lanes of Montauk Highway when he was struck by a westbound Dodge Caliber and a westbound Mercury Sable near Bonny Drive at 5:20 p.m.The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. The two drivers were neither injured nor charged.Seventh Squad detectives impounded both vehicles and are continuing the investigation.last_img

Ski resorts react to Gov. Cuomo allowing them to reopening with limited capacity

first_imgSkiCNY says they have already seen an increase in sales for passes earlier this fall. They say they may even have to add more employees for the season. SkiCNY, ski resort in Central New York, says they are pretty pleased with the restrictions. They say they anticipate a busy season, adding that people are eager to be doing activities after being so cooped up. The resort says it hopes to be open by Dec. 1 and that the weather will be in their favor this year. (WBNG) — Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Oct. 18 that ski resorts can reopen at 50% capacity in November with restrictions. The restrictions include wearing mask whenever not eating, drinking or skiing, social distancing between parties, disinfection of rental equipment, and limiting lifts to be members of the same party.last_img read more

WHO, Asian leaders discuss virus sharing, vaccine access

first_imgEditor’s note: Because of a technical problem, this story was not published until Mar 27.Mar 26, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) opened a meeting with Asian health officials in Jakarta today to hear their concerns about access to H5N1 influenza vaccines and discuss solutions that might allow researchers to regain unrestricted access to H5N1 samples.Indonesia brought the issue to the forefront in February when it announced it would send no more H5N1 samples to the WHO until it received assurances that the strains would not be used by private companies to make vaccines that the country couldn’t afford.Though some countries and health officials support Indonesia’s use of the virus samples as leverage to gain access to H5N1 vaccines, others have charged that Indonesia is impeding global efforts to chart the spread of the disease, track genetic mutations, and develop new vaccines.In his opening remarks at the 2-day conference today, which were e-mailed to journalists, David Heymann, the WHO’s acting director-general for communicable diseases, said responsible virus sharing requires both unrestricted access to novel influenza viruses and equitable access to pandemic vaccines that result from the sharing.Heymann defended the WHO’s history of coordinating vaccine development and production on behalf of developing nations. In 1997 the WHO responded to a major meningitis outbreak in sub-Saharan Africa by mobilizing the production and distribution of 3 million doses of vaccine.”To date, more than 20 million doses of meningococcal vaccine have been channeled through the International Coordinating Group mechanism, and improvements in surveillance have occurred because the prospect of having access to vaccine is a compelling incentive to report cases,” Heymann said. A similar mechanism was recently established to coordinate stockpiling and distribution of yellow fever vaccine for Latin America and Africa, he added.The Jakarta meeting will allow the WHO and the 18 Asian nations to discuss not only virus-sharing proposals that will be debated at the World Health Assembly in May, but also obligations that countries have under the revised International Health Regulations, which take effect in June, Heymann said.He predicted the meeting would bring discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of material-transfer agreements and other virus-sharing mechanisms, “and it will become clear that most of these mechanisms would impede rather than facilitate the world’s risk assessment and preparedness for an influenza pandemic.”Indonesian Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari has asked the WHO for a binding guarantee that H5N1 samples won’t be used to develop commercial vaccines priced out of the country’s reach. Indonesia also signed a memorandum of understanding with US vaccine producer Baxter International that laid the groundwork for future collaborations or supply agreements.At the meeting today, Supari told reporters that if Indonesia had its own WHO collaborating center and vaccine factory, it would not need to send viruses outside the country, the Associated Press reported.The WHO said last week that projects to establish flu-vaccine manufacturing capacities in up to six developing countries—four in Asia and two in Latin America—were “in the final stage of approval.” Japan and the United States have provided $18 million toward the effort, the WHO said. But Heymann’s prepared speech did not mention those projects.US Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt said in a Mar 23 press release that the United States provided $10 million toward the WHO’s vaccine supply expansion plan. “Responding to a pandemic demands the cooperation of the world community, as no nation can go it alone. If a country is to protect its own people, it must work together with other nations to protect the people of the world,” he said.Heymann said solutions for improving H5N1 vaccine access in developing countries will require both short- and long-term measures, which could include:National stockpilesVirtual stockpiles—certain amounts of pandemic vaccine that producers would set aside for the WHO to buy for developing countriesFill-and-finish operations that allow developing countries to package bulk vaccine from manufacturersTechnology-transfer agreements like those used for the conjugate meningitis vaccine, which would allow developing countries to add to the world’s flu vaccine supply.See also:Mar 22 CIDRAP News story “WHO: Six developing countries may get flu vaccine plants”Mar 23 HHS press releasehttp://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2007pres/03/20070323e.htmllast_img read more

House drops sexual violence eradication bill from this year’s priority list

first_imgThe House of Representatives’ Legislation Body (Baleg) has officially dropped the long-awaited sexual violence eradication bill (RUU PKS) from this year’s National Legislation Program (Prolegnas) priority list, despite calls from women’s rights activist to pass the billIn a hearing on Thursday, the Baleg, the government and the Regional Representatives Council (DPD) agreed to remove 16 of the 50 bills on the list, including the RUU PKS, citing scheduling difficulties due to the COVID-19 pandemic. “We will include the RUU PKS on the next priority list [for 2021] in October,” Baleg chairman Supratman Andi Agtas said.In the hearing, some factions suggested that the Baleg take over the RUU PKS deliberation from House Commission VIII overseeing social affairs due to the latter’s inability to make progress with the bill.NasDem Party lawmaker Taufik Basari said the party would lobby other factions in the House to continue the deliberation of the bill.“The RUU PKS was initially proposed by a member of the NasDem faction. However, by Commission VIII’s request, the bill was initiated by the commission,” he said. “We now see that Commission VIII doesn’t want to put forward the bill as its initiative, so NasDem hopes we can again propose and discuss it within the Baleg.” Read also: Public outcry as House plans to delay sexual violence bill – againMembers of other factions in the body, namely the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P), the Golkar Party and the National Awakening Party (PKB) echoed Taufik’s sentiments.PDI-P lawmaker Diah Pitaloka, who has consistently lobbied the House to pass the bill, said the Baleg should take over the bill, citing a letter dated May 5 stating the cancellation of Commission VIII’s proposal for the bill.The bill has faced strong opposition from members of Islamic political parties such as the PKB and the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) in Commission VIII, who have argued that the bill supported the legalization of adultery and “LGBT behavior”.Marwan Dasopang, the deputy chairman of Commission VIII, told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday that the removal of the RUU PKS from the 2020 priority list was due to the difficulties in arranging the bill’s deliberation, citing time constraints.center_img Topics :last_img read more

I’m not lovin’ it: Man arrested for bomb threat at McDonald’s in South Sulawesi

first_img“He shouted in the store, saying that Italy was behind the COVID-19 pandemic and McDonald’s was an Italian brand, so he intended to bomb it,” Ibrahim said on Wednesday, as quoted by kompas.com.Read also: Countering terrorism during the COVID-19 pandemicAfter causing panic among customers and staff, he left the restaurant and rode away on a motorcycle.The police managed to arrest MH after reviewing CCTV footage of the restaurant. Investigators identified him immediately, as the suspect did not wear anything to cover his face during the incident.MH, who is a resident of Masamba district in Luwu regency, was arrested at a mosque on Jl. Urip Sumoharjo in the provincial capital of Makassar.Ibrahim added that MH told police during an interrogation that he threatened to blow up the restaurant because he “hates foreign brands.” (nal)Topics : Police arrested a 35-year-old man identified only as MH after he threatened to blow up a McDonald’s restaurant on Jl. AP Pettarani in Panakkukang district, Makassar, South Sulawesi.South Sulawesi Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Ibrahim Tompo said the suspect went into the store on Monday evening.He then told a member of staff at the restaurant that he would bomb the place.last_img read more

‘She got life, he got 13 years’ – Three strikes law may have saved her life

first_imgEighteen years ago Joanne van Duyven-Booden was shot three times in her sleep by Filthy Few gang president James Wilson who then dumped her body down a bank. Wilson had racked up over 90 convictions before the murder and was on parole at the time. He said Joanne “got life, but he didn’t, he got 13 years.”READ MORE: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/she-got-life-he-13-years-family-woman-killed-gang-leader-parole-say-three-strikes-law-may-have-saved-her Ms van Duyven-Booden’s brother-in-law Brett told TVNZ1’s Seven Sharp the only solace for the family now is “the fact that he’s still in jail”. “That’s a big help to them because they don’t want him out, obviously. Don’t know what he’s going to do when he gets out.” For Brett and his family the nightmare continues because Wilson could be back in the community on parole this year. ‘She got life, he got 13 years’ – Family of woman killed by gang leader on parole say three strikes law may have saved her lifeTVNZ One News 1 November 2017Family First Comment: Violent offenders who are Repeat offenders need to be imprisoned for the sake of families. Quite simple really. Do the rehabilitation programme there (if they do want it!)The Government announced today it will scrap the three strikes law which forces judges to impose the maximum sentence on anyone who commits a third violent or serious sexual crime.Justice Minister Andrew Little says there are better ways to prevent crime.last_img read more

Indianapolis Unhealthiest City in US

first_imgINDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — Indianapolis is officially the unhealthiest city in the United States, according to one study.High obesity and smoking rates, along with record-setting inactivity, earned Indianapolis the top spot of the unhealthiest places to live in America.A study done by the American College of Sports Medicine looked at a number of factors for the top 50 most populated cities in the country, taking a snapshot of a city’s overall health.The study took into consideration personal metrics, like whether or not you smoke and how active you are, as well as community metrics, like how walkable a city is and the number of parks and trails it has.This is the second year in a row Indy has come in last place.last_img