Martinez destined for the top – Whelan

first_img The highly-rated Spaniard’s potential has again been underlined by Latics’ run to the semi-finals of this season’s FA Cup. There has been speculation over Martinez’s future for each of the past two summers following his success in steering Wigan clear of relegation from the Barclays Premier League. And Whelan told BBC Radio Five Live’s Sportsweek programme: “I will lose him, I don’t think there is any question about that.” Press Association Whelan has said previously that former Wigan player Martinez, 39, will eventually leave the club with his blessing but he wants him to stay as long as possible. “We have known each other and been together a long time. Hopefully that will continue,” he said “He is a top-class manager and he will get one of the top clubs in Europe. The big clubs in Europe, when they want a manager, Roberto is obviously the man. He is stone-cold brilliant as a manager.” There was a downside to Wigan’s superb 3-0 quarter-final win over Everton in that Premier League action elsewhere meant they slipped back into the bottom three. But Martinez has been involved in a relegation battle every season since he took charge at the DW Stadium in 2009 and his last two escapes have been particularly remarkable. Whelan is confident he will achieve safety again, saying: He said: “We have been there before and fought our way out of it. We are going to do exactly the same again, I hope. “We have played well all season and just had so many injuries and bad luck. “We played Everton off the park and have done that so many times this season but at times we have had up to eight players injured. It is very difficult to take that kind of punishment.” center_img Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has reiterated his belief manager Roberto Martinez is destined for one of Europe’s top clubs.last_img read more

Atsu to represent Newcastle United in ePremier League

first_imgNewcastle United have selected Christian Atsu as their representative in the inaugural ePremier League tournament.The Premier League has been inactive for more than a month due to the coronavirus pandemic, and while people remain at home because of the subsequent lockdown, the ePremier League presents an opportunity to keep the players and fans engaged and entertained.Selected Premier League players will go up against one another by representing their clubs in EA Sports FIFA 20.The winner of the competition will be announced on April 25, with the proceeds going to the #PlayersTogether campaign in support of the National Health Service – the agency at the forefront of fighting the coronavirus pandemic in the United Kingdom.https://twitter.com/NUFC/status/1252179831745384449?s=20Atsu will be going up against the likes of Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Todd Cantwell (Norwich City), Ryan Fredericks (West Ham United), Diogo Jota (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City) and Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace).Prior to the lockdown, Atsu had played 18 times for Newcastle in the Premier League this season, but only eight were starts, three of which he completed the 90 minutes in. The 27-year-old Ghanaian has a year left to run on his contract and has been tipped for a move away from St. James’ Park in search of more first-team football.last_img read more

Kevin Durant free agency rumors: Nets no longer front-runners for Warriors star

first_imgAccording to The Athletic, Durant has not decided if he wants to even take meetings with teams looking to add the two-time NBA Finals MVP to their rosters.Kevin Durant has not yet decided whether he will actually take meetings with prospective teams when free agency begins Sunday evening, but if he and his group do, the discussions will be in New York City, per source.— David Aldridge (@davidaldridgedc) June 27, 2019Even though the 10-time All-Star will likely miss all of the 2019-20 season rehabbing a ruptured Achilles, suitors appear willing to give Durant a max contract and as Brooklyn reportedly leaves the picture, the other New York team steps up as the front-runner.The Knicks still believe they have a chance to land Durant, according to SNY.But his injury is still a concern for New York. According to SNY, which cited unidentified sources familiar with the situation, the Nets are “not the front-runners or favorites to sign Durant at the moment.”This adds yet another layer to a situation Durant doesn’t even have the answer to yet. Related News Kevin Durant free agency news: Superstar sells Malibu mansion for $12.15M Dirk Nowitzki on Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson injuries: ‘I do feel bad for the Warriors’ The Nets are no longer front-runners to sign Kevin Durant.Durant, who has been linked to a number of teams as he gets ready to explore free agency, recently sold his Malibu mansion and has been spotted around New York. This added fuel to rumors that Durant would land in the city, however, according to SportsNet New York, it might not be the Nets. Kevin Durant free agency rumors: Superstar in New York after declining Warriors option An earlier ESPN report noted that Knicks owner James Dolan is urging team executives to use “caution” regarding Durant’s Achilles and wants to see test results and his projected prognosis.As free agency is set to begin at 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, the Knicks have plenty of cap space to sign the star. They are also believed to be looking at Kawhi Leonard among others.last_img read more