GreeND hosts marchers for climate action

first_imgIn conjunction with the arrival of forty marchers, who stopped at Notre Dame on Saturday as part of the Great March for Climate Action, GreeND hosted a panel discussion and film screening in the Hesburgh Auditorium.Garrett Blad, president of GreeND, said the movie, titled “Disruption,” was great in describing the history and science of climate change.“It really goes into the interconnectedness of the issue and how the People’s Climate March is really trying to get a broad array of groups involved,” he said.Following the screening of the film, two professors and one marcher discussed the short- and long-term implications of climate change.“The film is very impressive, in the historical sweep of the view that it’s giving and looking back at previous attempts to engage issues that can really be so punishing … as well as the attention to the emotional component and how they kind of mobilize the grassroots here to build towards a global movement, which leads to an impressive intersectional approach,” sociology and peace studies professor Ann Mische said.Saint Mary’s political science professor Sonalini Sapra organized a screening of “Disruption” last week at the College in preparation for this week’s event.“The focus on not just a climate treaty, but a just climate treaty is really something the documentary seems to emphasize,” she said. “And so what does a just climate treaty look like? Who gets to be part of those conversations? I mean, I know that India and China, their leaders, have already said they are not going to come to the climate meetings on Sept. 23 that [United Nations Secretary General] Ban Ki-Moon has organized. So one of my questions is what would a just climate treaty even really look like?”The Great March for Climate Action began in March, when forty people from all over the United States left Los Angeles, hoping to arrive in Washington, D.C. by November 1st.“One of the reasons I’m doing this, and I think we’re all doing this, is because climate change really is one of the largest issues facing our world today,” marcher Jimmy Betts said.Born in South Korea and raised in Nebraska, Betts has walked with the march since it started in Los Angeles and was included as one of the speakers on the panel.“This is a huge mobilization that will officially last,” he said. “But the real work is going to come after the march. That’s where all this uniting is going to really come to this political will, this power that we essentially created, and we have to take it.”All of the marchers shared the similar sentiment of an increasingly pressing need for climate change reform.“We have to do this as a collective society, it can’t just be two outspoken environmental organizations, that’s way too narrow,” he said. “It affects far more people than just environmentalists, but unfortunately that’s sort of how it’s been polarized in the past.”Tags: Climate change, climate treaty, Disruption, environment, Great March for Climate Action, GreeND, People’s Climate March, reformlast_img read more

Sumner judge delays preliminary hearing decision on Jason Boyd case

first_img Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — The preliminary hearing of South Haven Police Chief Jason Boyd, charged with depositing a $2,650 philanthropic donation into his personal account and spending some of it on non-police related items, has been put on hold.Judge William Mott has delayed ruling on the Nov. 25 hearing at Sumner County District Court until he is able to review briefs that is applicable to the evidence presented in the case.Jason BoydMott is then expected to make his ruling sometime in January, 2016 on whether there is enough evidence to bring Boyd to trial or to dismiss the case.Boyd is charged with three felony counts of theft, misuse of public funds and interference with law enforcement. Boyd has pled not guilty to all three charges. He is accused of depositing a check from a patron that was meant to go strictly to the South Haven Police Department but instead went to his personal account. According to the criminal complaint, around $1,600 of that money is unaccounted for.Sumner County Attorney Kerwin Spencer said the judge has to determine if and when that patron’s money is considered public funds.“Was it when the check was given? Was it when the check was cashed? Or were these funds a personal gift from the patron to Chief Boyd, who could spend it the way he pleases,” Spencer said.If Mott renders a decision next month and determines there is enough evidence to warrant a trial, then this case could be headed toward a jury, Spencer said.Spencer said the crux of the argument is whether Boyd had deliberately mislead a donation from a patron, who had left a blank check to Boyd with the understanding that it was going toward South Haven Police purchases. Boyd then allegedly filled in his name and deposited it in a farm checking account (see story here).Boyd, who has served as police chief for three years, was suspended by the South Haven City Council after the Sumner County Sheriff’s office started an investigation in late July, 2015. Both the sheriff and attorney’s office seized Boyd’s financial records and after examining 90 checks from three different personal accounts, determined  less than $500 of the $2,650 donation was spent on South Haven police items – mostly on ammunition and a police uniform. The complaint read that he had deposited the check on January 9, 2014, but the amount in his personal accounts by September, 2014 was significantly less than what it should have been.A preliminary hearing is standard for judges to determine whether there is enough evidence admissible for trial. In this case, Mott’s delaying of the ruling, came after a day of witness testimonies. Spencer said there were six or seven witnesses who took the stand. Ten were subpoenaed for the hearing including: Randy Wyckoff of Wellington; John Skrdla of Medford, Kim Allen-Miller of Caldwell, Stephen Nicholson of South Haven, Amy Brown of South Haven, Katrina Hallman of South Haven, Thomas Bacon of South Haven, Carly Cole of Wellington, Frances Stevenson of the Sumner County Sheriff’s Office, and Rodger Church of the Sumner County’s Sheriff’s office.Follow us on Twitter.last_img read more

Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury 2: Wilder to target Fury’s eye in rematch

first_imgJoin DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a yearThe Briton’s cutman, Jacob “Stitch” Duran, has since revealed Fury has had mesh web inserted into the soft tissue above his eye but stressed “it won’t be an issue” in Las Vegas on Saturday.Wilder, however, believes the problem is more serious than Fury or his camp are letting on.”That’s definitely something that I’m targeting,” he said.”When a fighter has a wound that, we feel, is not all the way healed — no matter what he says — because as a fighter being in here, as a veteran being in the game, you see so many different things and you can acknowledge a lot of things and you know.When old pillow hands says he gone knock me out in 2 rounds. #WilderFury2 #BombZquad @Tyson_Fury pic.twitter.com/QORBTWdEx3— Deontay Wilder (@BronzeBomber) February 20, 2020″It’s like him coming to the press conference, he changed up something. He wore a hood and he wore glasses. He’s covering up something. Fury, we know your secrets. We know what’s going on.”That was just one of those things where he was just trying to cover up.”He didn’t want me to see how severe the cut was. You hear all the rumors as well that he didn’t allow his sparring partners to hit him in the face, they just did body sparring and different things like that.”That just shows a strong indication that something happened in that camp, something happened with his eye. “Credit to him, he’s a warrior, he’s still coming, he’s still trying to cover it up and come Saturday night is going to be ready to show up and present himself as, what he calls himself, the lineal champion.”Wilder was denied the chance to have a closer inspection of Fury’s eye on Friday as the traditional prefight faceoff at the weigh-in was canceled after the pair confronted each other on stage Wednesday.⚖️ @BronzeBomber – 231 | ⚖️ @Tyson_Fury – 273… and a sorta face-off. 504 pounds of pure 🔥 in the ring tomorrow.Good luck getting any sleep tonight. #WilderFury2 pic.twitter.com/FT4g9lWL0P— Top Rank Boxing (@trboxing) February 22, 2020WBC champion Wilder (42-0-1, 41 KOs) will be hoping to make the 11th successful defense of his title. The only time he did not emerge victorious was in the original meeting with Fury (29-0-1, 20 KOs) in December, which ended in a contentious draw. Deontay Wilder told Tyson Fury “we know your secrets” ahead of their rematch as the heavyweight world champion aims to expose a cut the challenger suffered in his last fight.The highly anticipated second bout appeared to be in danger of being delayed when Fury suffered a deep cut during the third round of his points win over Otto Wallin in September. Fury later claimed he needed 40 stitches for the wound and it was noted by Wilder that he wore sunglasses during Wednesday’s news conference.last_img read more

HUNDREDS EXPECTED TO ATTEND WIND TURBINE MEETING IN CROSSROADS TONIGHT

first_imgHundreds of people are expected to attend a public meeting on proposed wind turbines for the Killygordon area.Sinn Féin Councillor Liam Doherty, has called on Minister Alan Kelly to do more to protect communities from the divisive nature of wind farm developments, stating that the interests of communities must come before those of developers.He made his comments ahead of tonight’s public meeting which has been organised by locals opposed to the planned wind farm development for Carrickduff Hill and Lismullyduff. “As we’ve already seen from the recent experiences of communities such as in the Midlands – or closer to home in Glenties – Wind Farms have the potential to polarise and divide communities and I am fearful that this too may happen in the Finn Valley.”“Of course, this Government has done absolutely nothing to alleviate this situation; their inaction has allowed this debacle to fester and this is having massive implications for rural Ireland.”“Current guidelines suggest a setback distance of 500m between a turbine and a dwelling while also allowing a night time noise limit which greatly exceeds that set by the World Health Organisation as being safe for human health – the guidelines clearly need updating.”“Environment Minister Alan Kelly has said that he is reviewing current energy planning guidelines, however, when you consider that the current government has been in power since 2011, we have been waiting far too long for a review to be carried out.” “They have yet to do anything to address or correct this situation and, as we’ve seen, current guidelines fail to properly protect homeowners from the negative impact of these developments.”“This stalemate is dividing communities the length and breadth of Ireland, but this needn’t have to be the case if the appropriate safeguards were introduced.”“Sinn Féin has been the only party to put forward a viable, coherent and practical policy with regards to the regulation of wind farms, that’s why the party tabled the Wind Turbine Regulation Bill last year, which would have introduced proper zoning regulation, established minimum setback distancing as well as making it mandatory for developers to engage in consultation with the local community.”“Under the Department’s current guidelines, there is no requirement for developers to sit down and participate in talks with the local community affected – that is ridiculous!”“Our position on this is very clear: nobody is against wind energy however what people are against is being forced to live with the consequences of bad planning decisions.” “If Sinn Féin’s proposals were enacted, and if the Minister implemented the measures which we had previously put forward, then the current debacle in the Finn Valley could have been avoided – he has failed the people here.“Under our proposals, Ireland could potentially lead the way in Renewal Energy and Sustainable Development – we could be a Model of Best Practice around the world.”“In relation to the planned development for the Finn Valley, objections to planning authorities and to Minister Alan Kelly are now being prepared by the local community and I of course welcome tonight’s meeting as it will enable local people to become engaged in healthy debate surrounding this issue and to have their voices heard.”“I am now calling on the Minister to give serious consideration to the various concerns of the local community here, and I would ask that he now sit down and meet with them as their concerns, as well as the concerns of other communities, may help in shaping any future Planning Guidelines.” HUNDREDS EXPECTED TO ATTEND WIND TURBINE MEETING IN CROSSROADS TONIGHT was last modified: February 23rd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more